Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Banana Muffin Recipe

I had a fabulous jewelry party this morning and my friend asked for the recipe for the banana muffins I made. So, here it is. Sorry I didn't know the recipe would be requested otherwise I would have taken some pics! This isn't the most healthful recipe, but it sure is yummy! I imagine you could make it more healthy by using whole wheat flour instead of white, but I haven't tried it that way...yet.

Banana Muffins

2 1/2 cups flour (I use unbleached)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups mashed bananas (approx 4-6 bananas)
1/2 canola oil
1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease 12-muffin tin.
Mix dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt) in large bowl
Mix brown sugar, bananas, oil, milk, eggs and vanilla in separate bowl
Make a well in the center of the mixed dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients in
Mix until moistened but still lumpy. Do NOT over mix (this will make muffins tough)
Divide batter evenly into prepared tin
Bake 20-25 mins until golden
Cool muffins in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool

The above is how I did it. As I read through my recipe another time here, I realized I did something wrong, yet the muffins still came out great. The recipe says that when you put the muffins into the oven to reduce the temp to 375 degrees F. I totally skipped this, and my muffins came out great - cooking at 425 for about 23 mins. I think this may have to do with the altitude here (6100'). The recipe also calls for 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, but I don't really care for walnuts so I just left them out. My muffin tins were filled pretty full with the batter sans nuts, so I imagine if you did add nuts you might have enough batter for one and a half muffin tins. If you do fill a muffin tin only partially, be sure to fill the empty spots with some water so the muffins still cook evenly.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I don't have canola oil, and this is the second recipe this week that asks for it. Do you use it a lot? And why have I never needed it before this week??? I was planning on making banana bread in the next few days, maybe I'll do muffins instead.

Jenna Hoskinson said...

you can just use regular old vegetable oil instead, it's just that canola is the healthiest of the vegetable oils. And yes, I do use it a lot - use it whenever a recipe calls for vegetable oil.