Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Roasted Red Pepper, Spinach and Turkey Wrap

Sorry no pics of this one, but it sure was tasty! I love anything with red peppers.

Ingredients for 2 wraps:
2 whole wheat or sprouted grain tortilla or wrap
2 thick-cut slices turkey deli meat (the kind w/out nitrates is of course much preferred)
1 roasted red pepper (see below for making your own)
couple handfuls baby spinach
mayo (the kind made w/canola oil is healthier)
prepared pesto (I used Classico Traditional Basil Pesto)
shredded mozzarella
grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper to taste (optional)

To roast a red bell pepper (on a gas range, sorry folks, I'm not sure how you would do this on an electric stove, though I think I've heard you can broil them in the oven to get the same effect): Place washed and dried pepper directly on grate with heat around med-low. You want the flames to be high enough that the pepper's skin chars. Turn the pepper frequently until the skin is more charred than not. Then wrap the pepper in a clean dish cloth and let sit for about 5 mins. Peel the skin off with your fingers. Slice open the pepper and remove stem, seeds, and membranes. Then cut into strips.

To assemble the wrap: I spread a thin layer of mayo on each tortilla, then spread a dab of pesto on top of that. Layer the turkey, spinach, and then peppers. I grate the mozzarella and Parmesan right on top until it looks good to me. Season w/salt and pepper. Wrap up and enjoy!

No comments: